Re: MySQL benchmarks

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:01:01 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Scott Long wrote:

> > The scalability results look promising.  Also, has anyone seen what
> > effect WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH has on performance?
>
> It's a mixed bag that has been in significant flux over the past 8
> months due to threading and scheduling infrastructure sometimes fixing
> bugs and sometimes introducing new bugs.  On the mysql SuperSmack test,
> the best results I found on a dual 3GHz Xeon were with system scope
> threads under libpthread.  libthr was a close second (though all threads
> there are process scope by definition) and process scope libpthread was
> almost as bad as libc_r.  However, that was back in August, and I think
> that much has changed since then.  Other, non-mysql tests that I've run
> recently have shown that process scope libpthread is now the overall
> winner.  It would be nice to come up with a new matrix of results based
> on scheduler, preemption, thread library, and thread attributes.  Now if
> only I had the 2 days free to do that...

David Xu's recent work on threading also looks very promising, and in his
benchmarks seemed to substantially outperform MySQL running linuxthreads,
libkse, libthr, and libc_r on FreeBSD.  I recently set him up with a dual
Xeon box to use in the netperf cluster as he was previously benchmarking
only on PIII hardware.

Robert N M Watson