Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:23:12 -0600
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:41:45PM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Besides, I can think of several situations where you wouldn't really
> want a GUI based installation, in particular, when building and
> configuring a server.  A GUI based installation required the detection
> [perhaps accurate might be oder] of the video hardware, which in
> general just doesn't matter on a server.

And though most i386 hardware is broken in this respect, don't forget
that in many other architectures, the video hardware may not even EXIST.

Even some high-end x86 server boards allow booting without a video card.
Think serial install on a 1U headless server with only power, network,
and serial port.

Craig