Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy_at_veldy.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:41:45 -0600
supraexpress_at_globaleyes.net wrote:

>One of the main "stumbling blocks" to using FreeBSD is the installation
>process. I have had "lots of fun" (not!) with NetBSD's line-mode/shell-script
>"installer" and confusing companion installation instructions, in the past; I
>only tried OpenBSD once and don't remember anything about its installation
>process, but I seem to recall that it was similar to NetBSD's; FreeBSD's
>'DOS-like menu' system is a travisty and IS PROBABLY THE ONE THING THAT TURNS
>OFF MORE PROSPECTIVE FBSD USERS THAN ANYTHING ELSE - I know - I have heard!
>
>Besides, it is REALLY EASY to get lost in the FBSD installer "menu system",
>and not that hard to get caught in a "control loop"; this is not to say that
>the current FBSD installer is a piece of junk - I give kudos to its
>developers, but IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON, and this is the ONE thing that gets
>compared to with Linux "installers" as well as Winchoke, probably more than
>anything else, so if FreeBSD is going to be more appealing to "the masses",
>it needs a completely new installation process (note: I don't really care
>for Solaris' "wizard process" - though it is not TOO bad, and I am not
>trying to advocate a "wizard process" that mirrors others).
>
>I offer the following suggestions for cogitation and realize that some
>of MY choices may not be "the best", but here goes anyhow:
>
>a) redesign the "installer" as a graphical menu system with pull-down
>   options, organized as a linear heirarchy where there is NO possibility
>   of getting lost or of winding up in a "control loop", and the progression
>   is clearly visible; real graphical images of major processes/steps and
>   "systems/major applications" should be provided; THIS installer should
>   begin with THREE, and only THREE options: "user workstation",
>   "server", or "(expert) choice of workstation/server setups"
>

>b) design an "installation wizard", in line with contemporary systems,
>   that does nothing but install a "canned workstation environment" based on
>   OpenOffice plus Gnome (or KDE) - that's IT - NOTHING ELSE; Make sure
>   that a more modern graphical menu is used where sample images of Gnome
>   (or KDE) are presented, and do NOT install the entire Gnome (or KDE)
>   "suite"; THIS will appeal to the MILLIONS who have been brainwashed by
>   Redmond (or Apple?) into believing that there is only ONE "computing
>   environment" of any use or interest, AND IT WILL GIVE THEM WHAT THEY
>   WANT, even if it IS FreeBSD; this would be like a pseudo-Mac-X (whatever);
>   this will also appeal to those who don't really care about Unix or
>   FreeBSD as a "server", but really want a "desktop environment"
>
>   a basic client-only, outbound-only-allowing firewall MUST BE
>   installed and activated (which will require some simple choices about
>   DHCP or assigned, static IP addreses); "ports" could be included as
>   an option, but would be better left to the "expert" wizard
>

>c) design an "installation wizard" that installs a "server system with NO
> [...]
Bah ... try Gentoo Linux sometime.  You might say that Debian is in this
same group as well.  It is NOT lacking in fans.  Besides, I can think of
several situations where you wouldn't really want a GUI based
installation, in particular, when building and configuring a server.  A
GUI based installation required the detection [perhaps accurate might be
oder] of the video hardware, which in general just doesn't matter on a
server.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 07C7 BF05 4176 F50B A083  4542 0118 1315 761F D300