Re: MySQL benchmarks

From: Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst_at_clara.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:46:43 +0000
* Antony T Curtis (antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com) wrote:

> If I remember correctly, MyISAM with skip-locking should rarely use
> fsync() calls... so if possible, the test could be re-run using MyISAM
> tables to see if there is any performance difference.

Poor performance is seen on read-only tests too; no fsync() overhead
there.  However, this message caught my eye:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2005-February/002848.html

  "Linux uses ptmalloc2 as its memory allocator, an extremely efficient
  implementation whose performance under a heavily loaded multithreaded
  system is impressive. FreeBSD does not."

There are a few malloc implimentations in ports which are supposedly
very good under threaded and multi-CPU conditions, including an older
ptmalloc, but I can't seem to make MySQL work with any of them using
LD_PRELOAD (it hangs with ptmalloc and SEGV's after a few seconds of
wdrain with Hoard).  This on 5-STABLE as of Jan 14, though, so don't let
that put anyone here off trying.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/