Re: MySQL benchmarks

From: Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:10:25 +0000
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 22:46 +0000, Thomas Hurst wrote:
> * Antony T Curtis (antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com) wrote:
>
> > If I remember correctly, MyISAM with skip-locking should rarely use
> > fsync() calls... so if possible, the test could be re-run using MyISAM
> > tables to see if there is any performance difference.
>
> Poor performance is seen on read-only tests too; no fsync() overhead
> there.  However, this message caught my eye:
>
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2005-February/002848.html
>
>   "Linux uses ptmalloc2 as its memory allocator, an extremely efficient
>   implementation whose performance under a heavily loaded multithreaded
>   system is impressive. FreeBSD does not."
>
> There are a few malloc implimentations in ports which are supposedly
> very good under threaded and multi-CPU conditions, including an older
> ptmalloc, but I can't seem to make MySQL work with any of them using
> LD_PRELOAD (it hangs with ptmalloc and SEGV's after a few seconds of
> wdrain with Hoard).  This on 5-STABLE as of Jan 14, though, so don't let
> that put anyone here off trying.

A couple of years ago, I compiled MySQL with Hoard on AIX (8-way power3
rs6000)... and AFAIK it's still being used in a production environment.

I think I'll have to play with this when if get an SMP machine...

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache