Re: Sluggish USB mouse in -CURRENT

From: Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef_at_mdanderson.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:10:08 -0600
On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:12, othermark wrote:

> If you search the archive, you'll find this problem is mentioned off and on
> in -current postings.   I too cannot use my USB mouse in -current.  I used
> to be able to, but that's when I could turn apic on and off in the kernel.
> Turning it off broke other things as well, but the brokeness is partially
> a function of my mboard/bios, and partially because of the implementation
> of -current.
>
> Take a look at the output from 'vmstat -i' and look to see what interrupt
> ums0 is sharing.   Try to hardcode an unused interrupt to the USB
> controller in BIOS (sometimes just disabling the PS/2 port in BIOS works as
> well).   If FreeBSD reads the table correctly (check with a verbose boot,
> my interrupt setting never takes) then you should get your mouse back to
> working in -current.

Well none of that worked.  My BIOS wont let me disable the PS/2 ports.  The
ums device doesn't show up in the vmstat -i listing, and disabling acpi
(which also disables HTT for me) doesn't result in any improvement.  Maybe
there is more hope of fixing the device probe on PS/2 than fixing USB
performance? At least for right now.
--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator