Re: Sluggish USB mouse in -CURRENT

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:21:04 -0500
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:10:08PM -0600, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:12, othermark wrote:
>

> > If you search the archive, you'll find this problem is mentioned off and on
> > in -current postings.   I too cannot use my USB mouse in -current.  I used
> > to be able to, but that's when I could turn apic on and off in the kernel.
> > Turning it off broke other things as well, but the brokeness is partially
> > a function of my mboard/bios, and partially because of the implementation
> > of -current.
> >
> > Take a look at the output from 'vmstat -i' and look to see what interrupt
> > ums0 is sharing.   Try to hardcode an unused interrupt to the USB
> > controller in BIOS (sometimes just disabling the PS/2 port in BIOS works as
> > well).   If FreeBSD reads the table correctly (check with a verbose boot,
> > my interrupt setting never takes) then you should get your mouse back to
> > working in -current.
>
> Well none of that worked.  My BIOS wont let me disable the PS/2 ports.  The
> ums device doesn't show up in the vmstat -i listing, and disabling acpi
> (which also disables HTT for me) doesn't result in any improvement.  Maybe
> there is more hope of fixing the device probe on PS/2 than fixing USB
> performance? At least for right now.

Once it's working, you can fool around with moused(8) and its axes and
the mouse section settings in the X configuration (i.e. perhaps setting
"Buttons" to "5").  It doesn't fix the underlying issues, but generally,
it is very possible to get mouse wheels working with PS/2.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \