Re: Sluggish USB mouse in -CURRENT

From: othermark <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:55:21 -0800
Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:12, othermark wrote:
>>
>> If you search the archive, you'll find this problem is mentioned off and
>> on
>> in -current postings.   I too cannot use my USB mouse in -current.  I
>> used to be able to, but that's when I could turn apic on and off in the
>> kernel. Turning it off broke other things as well, but the brokeness is
>> partially a function of my mboard/bios, and partially because of the
>> implementation of -current.
>>
>> Take a look at the output from 'vmstat -i' and look to see what interrupt
>> ums0 is sharing.   Try to hardcode an unused interrupt to the USB
>> controller in BIOS (sometimes just disabling the PS/2 port in BIOS works
>> as
>> well).   If FreeBSD reads the table correctly (check with a verbose boot,
>> my interrupt setting never takes) then you should get your mouse back to
>> working in -current.
>
> Well none of that worked.  My BIOS wont let me disable the PS/2 ports.
> The ums device doesn't show up in the vmstat -i listing, and disabling
> acpi
> (which also disables HTT for me) doesn't result in any improvement.  Maybe
> there is more hope of fixing the device probe on PS/2 than fixing USB
> performance? At least for right now.

Ugh, sorry about that, I meant the ohci0 device.  For example:

irq16: fxp0 ohci0                6378447          2

You'll see I'm sharing the ochi0 instance with fxp0, of which I'm fairly
certain is why USB anything is pretty much broken for me in -current.
Although I can change the USB controller interrupt in the bios setup, it
never takes on bootup.

--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com