Re: patch: p4tcc and speedstep cpufreq drivers

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:30:23 -0800
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:33:45 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi_at_freebsd.org
>  Pawel Worach wrote:
> > Nate Lawson wrote:
> >
> >> Attached is a patch that I'd like to get tested.  After applying it,
> >> rebuild and load the cpufreq.ko module.  Be sure you do _not_ have
> >> "options CPU_ENABLE_TCC" in your kernel config or the new driver will
> >> conflict with the old.
> >

> > Hi Nate,
> >
> > This is what I get on a TP T41, do the cpufreq results below look right?
> > Also if I loaded both modules all I got for dev.cpu.0.freq was -1 or
> > 1700 and no levels.
> >
> > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1700MHz (1698.56-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x695  Stepping = 5
> > Features=0xa7e9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE>
>
> Apologies.  I found 2 bugs, one was not calling cpufreq_register() and
> the other was that the code to detect acpi_perf (in ichss and est) was
> incorrect.  I've committed fixes for that and have updated the patch.
> Please ues this version and test again.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Nate

Well, it all seems working, but the performance is not proportional to
the "frequency". I am attaching the results of testing. The fist column
is value of freq and the second is the transfer rate from dd to md5.

FWIW, when I did have TCC working I had 31 freq_levels, but if I set the
freq below about 200, my system freezes and requires a hard power
cycle. I am running ULE but no PREEMPTION. The exact point at which it
locks up is not consistent.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)