Re: AMD64 machine stability problem

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:29:21 -0800
Xin LI wrote:
> I guess there are something strange happening in sys/dev/syscons.  My
> laptop (i386 based) crashes about 25% times when I start GNOME, and the
> possibility raises when I have the VESA High Resolution Console patch
> applied, therefore I still don't want to commit it :-(
>
> 在 2005-02-20日的 14:04 +0800,David Xu写道:

>>>What happens if you enter the same find command on a console
>>>session?  (ie, outside of X11)
>>>

>>running it on a console never reboots, works just fine.
>>I also switched graphics card, and run it under X11, it still reboots.
>

> Cheers,

run the command in X11 and then switch to console to await the crash
that way you'll see if there is a messsage (or serial console I guess).
A panic when X is running will not sto pbecause it assumes you can't look at it.
so it just reboots.  (I haven't seen the code that does this but I've
observed the behaviour).

could it be achieved by anything tha scrolls that amount of data?
(e.g. catting a huge file?) if so it may just be bad thermal control
as teh cpu is doing all that renderring.