Can't get rid of IPv6

From: Richard Cadwalader <richard_at_howitsdone.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:49:32 -0600
I need to get rid of IPv6 altogether. I have 5.3 current.

here is what it's doing:
browsing the net is imposible (signing into AIM, IRC, mail, anything that uses a dns server is also imposible.)

takes forever to resolve by name, resolves in milisecnds and loads the page in half a second when using IP

Here is what I did to try to fix it:
checked and edited all the config files (inetd.conf, resolve.conf)
no change

Looked for the infamous 99kde-env file that is supposed to have some kind of ENABLE_IPV6_no="1" line in it, and it's not in 5.3...at least not by that filename. The Linux guys were saying that they were having the same trouble and setting that environment variable for KDE did the trick.

Commented out the INET6 line in the GENERIC kernel and recompiled. No change.

Found two more lines that had to do with INET6 gif and something else, so I commented out those two and compiled again. No change.

Moved the IPv6 address from the top to the bottom in hosts file, no change.

Configured the NIC I can't tell you how many times, static, DHCP.

I've tried 4 other browsers. Even ping takes about 90 seconds to return anything.

I can't show you my kernel config or anything else, because I can't even send/recieve email. That is name based, of course, so forget it. I can't browse the net unless I know the host's IP and all the links are relative and the host allows http req's by IP....otherwise I would have set up Samba and wrote those files to the windows HDD so I can share that with everyone, but I can't.

The one thing I didn't try, and didn't think of it till just now is I never actually tried IPv6 support on the card using sysinstall. Maybe the all the apps are sending ip6  to the card, and the card isn't telling the app to use ip4 because the card doesn't know what it's getting in the first place...could that be it?

Any help would be great!

-RC