Re: Can't get rid of IPv6

From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb_at_immanent.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:46:21 +0000 (UTC)
In article <002401c4f1c4$fc7ab240$6500000a_at_asdf>,
	"Richard Cadwalader" <richard_at_howitsdone.net> writes:
> I need to get rid of IPv6 altogether. I have 5.3 current.
> here is what it's doing:
> browsing the net is imposible (signing into AIM, IRC, mail,
> anything that uses a dns server is also imposible.)
> takes forever to resolve by name, resolves in milisecnds
> and loads the page in half a second when using IP
> Here is what I did to try to fix it:
> checked and edited all the config files (inetd.conf, resolve.conf)
> no change

Try this:

  route get -inet6 default

and if there's something there, try

  route delete -inet6 default

I think the automatic IPv6 autoconfiguration on FreeBSD is a little too
ambitious.  If you really don't have IPv6 connectivity, you shouldn't get
a default route.  That way, well-behaved applications can move on to the
IPv4 address quickly, rather than waiting for TCP to timeout. As a bonus,
you can then still use link-local or even site-local addresses (on the
same link) for NFS or other experiments. In any case, deleting the (bogus)
default route should probably give you immediate relief.

Frederick