Re: Benchmark: NetBSD 2.0 beats FreeBSD 5.3

From: Martin P. Hellwig <mhellwig_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:44:48 +0100
<cut troll>

>PS: if I've offended anyone (yeah, I singled a few
>out)
>, prove me wrong, but spare me your insultedness.
>It's become a pathetic hobby in -core.

Benchmark are made to be put into perspective, although everybody has a
right to say what he wants to say, this doesn't mean that you have to
say it.
It seems to me that FreeBSD is focusing it performance onto MP 64bit
processors. As we can see in the benchmark it has in comparison to other
projects a negative impact on UP system.

But just put it in the perspective of processor developments, AMD
(followed by Intel) is heading towards a multi-core 64 bit systems, what
probably becomes mainstream at the end of next year.
With this technology the FreeBSD model could have winner on there hands.

Doing the same job but not having the same philosophy on it, is always
inefficient, but in the real world it leads to the Darwin effect.
What means that the best solution gets there chance of survival against
the test of time.
Luckily these are all BSD's, good solution will spread, just take a look
at PF.
OpenBSD has a good user base but not compatible to the sum of user base
of the other BSD's. Still PF has spread there wings beyond the user base
of OpenBSD.

FreeBSD is just a name for an OS, if any other OS can give me more "bang
for the buck" and provides a full solution, I will use it.
Be it DragonFly/Free/Open/Net, MacOsX, GNU+Linux, Windows or any of the
other hundreds of OS'es out there.
I like the BSD license so I will tend to stick to "gratis" BSD OS'es.

All of the disagreements in development is a healthy process to make
sure the sort "BSD" an not the specie *BSD will survive.
Sure I have my disappointments about some decision, but hey so is live,
this ain't a fan club for next biggest boy band (he he BSD-Boyz), where
using an OS to provide solution for our technologic problems, you favor
your solution but don't blind yourself.

And when you don't blind yourself you re-evaluate your situation and
move forward with the best solution for your problem.
Sure it is a pain to migrate my boxes to another OS (well that is the
fun part) and do some massive rewriting of my documentation, but thats
my job and I tend to like it. Just standing still and not progress has
its attractiveness when you had a very rough ride, but it gets dull very
soon and then you find yourself back on the dirty tracks.

But these are my opinion only, however I like to share them ;-)

Martin P. Hellwig