Re: 5.x on a portege A100

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:40:13 +0000
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 13:09 +0100, Vince Hoffman wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	Firstly sorry for the cross post but it seemed equaly appropriate
> for both lists.
> 	I'm rather idley trying to get 5.2.1+ to work on my toshiba
> portege A100. So far no joy, 5.x will not boot. I have tried the
> various boot menu options (with and without ACPI), but 5.2.1
> and the latest -CURRENT snapshot I could could find on the snapshot server
> both freeze at pci0, ACPI enabled says, pci0: <acpi PCI bus> on pcib0
> non ACPI says pci0: <pci bus on pcib0>. I'll write down and retype the
> entire output if it'll help.

Yes - and I suspect Google could have answered your question too.  All
recent Toshiba laptops that I have been able to get my hands on have
this same problem.  Apparently all Acer Centrino laptops need this too,
but I can't confirm that.

set hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0 at the loader prompt, then boot.

If that doesn't work, try also setting the PnP OS option in the bios to
"no". This _shouldn't_ be necessary, but was on at least one Toshiba
laptop I played with recently.

Gavin