Re: Atheros and SIS bridging problem

From: Ben Becker <benjamin.becker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:07:08 -0800
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:52:04 -0800, Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com> wrote:
> This doesn't work because the wireless interface will not receive
> frames from the ap destined for the laptop.  You basically need/want to
> tunnel the laptop frames which requires support that's not currently in
> the system.

I just tested a few things:  First, I was able to ping the AP from the
laptop by adding static ARP entries on both devices and pointing the
opposite device's IP to the mac address of Ath0 on the bridge.  It
seems to have worked as I can ping back and forth, but the response
time is usually greater than 200ms.  Just thought this was
interesting.

Is the issue here just that the bridge needs to learn all the MAC
addresses and which side of the bridge they're on?  Or does this have
more to do with the Atheros driver?  I want to add this functionality
and I'm willing to take the time to write a patch, but I want to make
sure I'm on the right track.  Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

    Regards,
    Ben