Re: NTFS unicode converting problem

From: David Yu <chiahsing_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:59:57 -0800
I wrote a patch for mounting NTFS as UTF-8. The patch is at
http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~chyu/ntfs-utf8.diff . After patch, you need
to recompile the kernel module libiconv and ntfs (or the whole kernel
if you do not use kernel module).

This patch should solve the problem that the original libiconv in the
kernel cannot convert characters to UTF-8 longer than 2 bytes per
char. I ported the UTF-8 <-> UCS-2 converter from GNU libiconv into
the kernel. However, I don't know how to implement "casetype" in the
conversion function, this may cause some problem in case insensitive
matching used in msdosfs.

I think this patch should just be a temporary workaround. The libiconv
in the kernel should be rewritten for a good structure.