Re: BSD 5.3 crashes, "ath0: [GIANT-LOCKED]"

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:07:28 -0800
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:27:19PM +0000, Marcos Biscaysaqu - ThePacific.net wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Im upgrade more than 50 boxes BSD5.2.1 to BSD5.3, and I started to have
> a lot of crashes, Im runing BSD from RAM.  all the boxes been working
> perfect in 5.2.1 but now Im having a lot of problems.
>
> Im have repited dmesgs of my networks card with [GIANT-LOCKED] option and :
> "WARNING: debug.mpsafenet forced to 0 as ipsec requires Giant"
> "WARNING: MPSAFE network stack disabled, expect reduced performance"

These aren't errors.  ipsec isn't yet mpsafe, so you can't run the
network stack without Giant (i.e. just like older releases).

> please let me know if you need more info.

Yes, we need details of the actual crashes.  See the chapter on kernel
debugging in the developers' handbook to find out how to obtain the
necessary debugging information.

Kris