Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:21:56 -0500
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Andrea Campi wrote:
[ ... ]
>> And than you want howl for Zeroconf/Rendezvous... If people agreed to
>> have it in the base system, some scripting would tie everything together
>> seamlessly to give the same level of functionality as Mac OS X or better.
>
> I can't think of anything zeroconf/rendezvous does for me that I want.

I'm not surprised.  Zeroconf/Rendezvous is intended for people who don't know
about or manage networks.  :-)

Someone who is able to say "yes, this subnet is running a DHCP server" has
already set up an environment where Zeroconf will gracefully back out of the
way and honor the network settings granted by DHCP.

Zeroconf/Rendezvous is intended to fulfil the simple goal of "connect two
machines via some network and have them be able to talk to each other by name
and access services", without configuring or changing any network settings.
This may mean two laptops on a hub, this may mean a machine and a
network-attached printer, it might even mean a host and an IP-enabled phone or
PDA.  From http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/

"Rendezvous requires that devices implement three essential things.  These
devices must be able to

     * allocate IP addresses without a DHCP server
     * translate between names and IP addresses without a DNS server
     * locate or advertise services without using a directory server"

On the other hand, a detailed look into the Zeroconf/Rendezvous specification
reveals some good ideas about how to generate ARP traffic to check whether an
IP is in use without polluting the address caches of other hosts on the
network, how to respond if some other device on the subnet appears which tries
to use your IP address, and so forth.

--
-Chuck