Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:43:52 -0800
Andrea Campi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:50:22AM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
>
>>>be properly managed by today's dhclient.  Likewise, I want to always have
>>>link local addresses configured for every network interface, and not have
>>>things like dhclient step on them.  This requires dhclient to become
>>>substantially more mature and/or grow a lot, or it requires a new daemon.
>>>Having many daemons is just asking for them all to step on each other's
>>>toes, adding and removing addresses and routes in ways that leaves me with
>>>nothing useful to network with, requiring user intervention.  If you've
>>>ever used a FreeBSD box in this scenario, followed by a Mac OS X box,
>>>you'll know what I mean.  Neither is perfect, but the one with centralized
>>>configuration management does a much better job :-).
>>
>>FWIW, Sam's got a port of openbsd's dhclient in perforce.  It's
>>apparently significantly less foobar then ours.  Unfortunatly, dhclient
>>isn't enough because we also need wpa_supplication for modern wireless
>>networks (it also provides basic 802.1x support for wired interfaces in
>>linux and we'll probably want that too.)  I think we'll be able to
>>simply add a wpa_supplicant_ifs="..." variable to start wpa_supplicant
>>independent of dhclient, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
>

> And than you want howl for Zeroconf/Rendezvous... If people agreed to have
> it in the base system, some scripting would tie everything together
> seamlessly to give the same level of functionality as Mac OS X or better.

I can't think of anything zeroconf/rendezvous does for me that I want.
What's presently missing is: background scanning, proper roaming, a GUI
tool that lets you interact with the wireless support.  OS X (Tiger at
least) is rather lame in many ares in terms of wireless--e.g. their
WPA/802.1x support is easily confused and lacks pre-authentication
support.  OTOH their GUI stuff is the best I've seen.

	Sam