Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:01:27 -0500
Sam Leffler wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I'm not surprised.  Zeroconf/Rendezvous is intended for people who
>> don't know about or manage networks.  :-)
>
> I know what zeroconf is.  The original discussion was not (I thought)
> about setting up "zero configuration" pieces of the network.  The
> discussion was about finding AP's. neighbor nodes in an IBSS network,
> setting up WPA and 802.1x, etc.  For this zeroconf doesn't get you very
> far.

Zeroconf is highly interested in the results of such activities, as 'network
up' and 'network down' events from interfaces as they change state are the
most significant events that it needs to deal with.

When you said "What's presently missing is: background scanning, proper
roaming,...", presumably this meant that something which provides "proper
roaming" is something that you care about.  Rendezvous between a Mac and a
bunch of Airports is supposed to provide proper roaming without special user
intervention.

Did it not work because Rendezvous expects open access to AP's?
Did it not work because of bugs with Tiger?
Did it not work because of other issues?

I don't know: you haven't supplied enough data.

	-----

As to whether this is on topic for the thread, consider Message-id: