Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Andrea Campi <andrea+freebsd_current_at_webcom.it>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:01:53 +0100
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:32:00PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> I know what zeroconf is.  The original discussion was not (I thought)
> about setting up "zero configuration" pieces of the network.  The
> discussion was about finding AP's. neighbor nodes in an IBSS network,
> setting up WPA and 802.1x, etc.  For this zeroconf doesn't get you very far.

You're wrong, that's not what the original thread was about. I was responding
to Robert:

> Ah, but we do, because whatever daemon it is needs to provide unified
> management of routing in the presence of multiple DHCP and link locally
> configured network interfaces.  I.e., when I'm switching between wireless
> and wired networks, Useful Things Should Happen, and this can't currently
> be properly managed by today's dhclient.  Likewise, I want to always have
> link local addresses configured for every network interface, and not have
> things like dhclient step on them.  This requires dhclient to become
> substantially more mature and/or grow a lot, or it requires a new daemon.

While he did mention wireless, the discussion you joined late was about
"every network interface".

Just to get records straight...

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.