Re: We have a lot of duplicated code in the kernel

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:27:17 +0100
On Saturday 29 January 2005 16:10, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/simian-20-sys-20050129.log (253k)
> contains a log of duplicated code in /sys (-current as of today). The
> file starts with files with 20 consecutive lines of duplicated code and
> ends with two files which share 1108 lines of code.
>
> If I let the program detect 6 consecutive lines of duplicated code, it
> is also able to detect possible code reuse in the same file, but it also
> prints a lot of "noise" then.
>
> I've filtered the list for some false positives (twa_fwimg, trlld?m,
> if_patm_rtables), if someone else notices some more files please tell me
> about them and I add them to the filter.

As a first step we might want to concentrate on stuff outside of the MD code.
It's understood that i386 and amd64 share quite a bit of code e.g.  I'm not
sure that these cases are easy to fix without major revise of the MD parts of
the build infrastructure - what doesn't mean that we shouldn't look at it in
the long run.

Could you regenerate the list w/o the MD code, as a first step?  This might
turn up a couple of "easy to fix" cases of shared code.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet