Attempting to make sk(4) work on Marvell 88E5053 (advise needed)

From: Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 02:38:22 +0800
Bjoern and all,

My (and probably many of yours) motherboard Asus P5GD1 PRO has Marvell
88E5053 on board, but currently there is no working driver for it, so
I tried to modify sk(4) to make it work.

I took a brief look at the syskonnect Linux driver v8.16, there seems
no much differences among PCI and PCI-express chips, so I tried to
fill missing identifiers to see if I am lucky enough. But the answer
is no. :p

Attached is my attempt, and the result message is below. Looks like
300+ KB jumbo frame buffer is too much to allocate. It would be very
appreciated if any one can give some advises.

Note:
1. My chip has PCI device ID 0x4362, but according to the linux driver
source there are 0x436[0-2], so you may need to change it to meet your
hardware.
2. Asus board owners need to turn on 'LAN option ROM' in BIOS setting
for the driver to correctly recognize its VPD identifier string.

dmesgs:
pci2:0:0: reprobing on driver added
pci2:0:0: Transition from D3 to D0
skc0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet(PCI-EXPRESS)> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem 0xccefc000-
0xccefffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
pcib3: skc0 requested memory range 0xccefc000-0xccefffff: good
skc0: interrupt moderation is 100 us
- read 3 bytes_at_00000000
- read 3 bytes
skc0: bad VPD resource id: expected 82 got 0
skc0:  MARVELL YUKON PCI-EXPRESS(?) rev. (0x1)
skc0: chip ver  = 0xb6
skc0: chip rev  = 0x01
skc0: SK_EPROM0 = 0x0c
skc0: SRAM size = 0x00c000
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
allocating 3469312 bytes for jumbo frame
sk0: no memory for jumbo buffers!
sk0: jumbo buffer allocation failed
device_attach: sk0 attach returned 12
sk1: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
allocating 3469312 bytes for jumbo frame
sk1: no memory for jumbo buffers!
sk1: jumbo buffer allocation failed
device_attach: sk1 attach returned 12
skc0: [MPSAFE]