Re: Fatal trap 12 if you unmount detached umass device

From: Björn König <bkoenig_at_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:24:29 +0200
Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> 1. Don't do that

It concerns not only USB drives, but any kind of removable media, even
floppy disks. A lot of people tend to remove floppy disks without
unmounting the filesystem before and I think it's unacceptable to let
users reboot their machine if they did this mistake.

> (If you're going to do it, try umount -f).

... which causes the death of a machine if you do this twice.

I prepared myself to step into the source code next month to eliminate
this annoying behaviour.

Regards
Björn