Compliments to the chefs: wpa, dhcp, and rc.conf

From: Freddie Cash <fcash_at_ocis.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:38:46 -0700
Just a note to say thanks to all those involved in integrating WPA support
into the base system.  I used to use a custom script that did all the
ifconfig lines manually, start the supplicant, and then run dhclient.  It
worked, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as plugging in a CAT5 cable and
having it all work automatically.

Since dhclient was changed and wpa_supplicant was brought into the base
system, everything now works the same for wired and wireless connections
on my laptop.  My rc.conf now has an ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP" line and an
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP" line, there's a simple wpa_supplicant.conf file
in /etc.  Depending on whether my wireless radio is turned on or not, I
either get a working wired connection or a working wireless connection.
No fumbling on my part needed.

Thanks to all those who worked on getting the needed bits to work together.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash_at_ocis.net