Re: mss.c pcm fix to ' attach returned 6 ' load failure for v5.x acpi and up

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:11:58 -0400
On Tuesday 12 July 2005 05:08 pm, Harry Coin wrote:
> John,
>
> Seems pulling my little orange out of the pyramid made the rest tumble!
>
> FWIW, apropos your
>
> "(ACPI only enumerates built-in hardware like COM ports, etc.  It doesn't
> enumerate ISA PnP cards)."
>
> I'm fairly sure there are non PNP sound chips built on some motherboards in
> a fashion not different than the com ports.  I'm guessing the line you had
> me zap might have been put in for that.

In the mss case though those would attach to pnpmss, not mss. :)  Most of the
integrated sound chips nowadays are PCI devices, too, not ISA-like devices.

> Unless you need anything more, I'm going to move on to making the mixer
> register mapping actually match the input side of the sound chips (only the
> PCM / line out register maps are correct in mss.c).
>
> Then on to figure out why the midi and FM synthesizer logical devices don't
> probe for the CS4236B.

Go for it!

> Could someone give me a URL regarding instructions on how to submit more
> than trivial changes to drivers that fix audio input and have added /
> better output device chip support?

I think there's notes in the handbook about how to generate patche with diff.
Probably easiest is to cvsup the CVS repository and check out a separate copy
of src/sys and do your work in that branch.  You can then use 'cvs diff' to
generate a patch.  The best list for sound patches is probably
multimedia_at_FreeBSD.org.