Re: mss.c pcm fix to ' attach returned 6 ' load failure for v5.x acpi and up

From: Harry Coin <harrycoin_at_qconline.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:08:27 -0500
John,

Seems pulling my little orange out of the pyramid made the rest tumble!

FWIW, apropos your

"(ACPI only enumerates built-in hardware like COM ports, etc.  It doesn't
enumerate ISA PnP cards)."

I'm fairly sure there are non PNP sound chips built on some motherboards in
a fashion not different than the com ports.  I'm guessing the line you had
me zap might have been put in for that.

Unless you need anything more, I'm going to move on to making the mixer
register mapping actually match the input side of the sound chips (only the
PCM / line out register maps are correct in mss.c).

Then on to figure out why the midi and FM synthesizer logical devices don't
probe for the CS4236B.

Could someone give me a URL regarding instructions on how to submit more
than trivial changes to drivers that fix audio input and have added /
better output device chip support?

Thanks

Harry