Re: Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

From: James Snow <snow+freebsd-current_at_teardrop.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:53:26 -0400
On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:21:36AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> When I switch to wireless, dhclient no longer replaces the default
> route. I need to take down my wired connection and flush routes before
> starting dhclient. Not a big deal, but an annoyance.

I also have an issue with default routes. In my case, I boot my laptop
at one of any number of sites, some wired, some wireless. wpa_supplicant
& dhclient work pretty well for me in the wireless cases. The problem I
have is when I boot on a wired network with no wireless network present.
(I've never tried booting with both present.)

dhclient will get started on the wired interface, and it will get an IP.
wpa_supplicant will also start and eventually dhclient will start on the
wireless interface as well. There's no address for it to find, but
somehow I wind up with no default route, rendering the wired interface
useless.

In these circumstances I've been killing wpa_supplicant, stopping
dhclient on both my ath0 and em0 interfaces, and then restarting
dhclient on em0.

I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong in my rc.conf:

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"

I also had to do this in /etc/dhclient.conf to keep the boot from taking
forever when there was no wireless network present:

interface "ath0" {
        # Let us boot up quickly
        timeout 5;
}