Re: rl(4) is not ready for mpsafenet net enough? (silent reboots)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:17:52 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Andrey Chernov wrote:

> I got silent (without panic) reboots approx. every 4 hours running rl(4)
> driver. When I turn off mpsafenet with debug.mpsafenet=0 reboots are
> stopped. I have KASSERTS on, but none of them are triggered, just silent
> hardware reboots. Plain UP machine. No netgraph, ipfw, etc. Any ideas?

I can't speak to the specifics of the driver, as I neither use it nor have
any if_rl hardware.  However, you should know that because
debug.mpsafenet=0 also changes quite a bit of timing, not just lock
coverage, it's not necessarily a locking problem.  Out of curiousity, if
you take "options PREEMPTION" out, but leave debug.mpsafenet=1, do things
change?

Robert N M Watson