Re: HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:17:03 +0200
Hi Alexander,

> The patch at
> http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/obsolete_removal.diff
> is scheduled to be committed at Saturday or Sunday. I've the approval
> of my mentor since some weeks but the code freeze for 6.0 jumped into
> my way. re_at_ had some issues with it, I've changed some things, and now
> I have time and no freeze in my way. :-)
>
> The patch provides update UPDATING instructions and documentation in
> the build(7) man-page. In short: "make delete-old delete-old-libs"
> in /usr/src. Nothing gets deleted without your approval (except you
> read the docs and provide the right magic spell)!
>
> Notes:
> * The list of files/libs/dirs is static and I hadn't time to add
>   the "new old libs". I will build a new world tomorrow and add those
>   libs before I commit the patch.

This is really great work !!  Thank you.  This is the neat solution I
was looking for.  I'm going to wait for Ken to bump libraries versions
in RELENG_6 and for you to MFC this before upgrading my RELENG_5.

> * Everyone who wants to come up with a different way of storing the
>   list of files or adopting the NetBSD way (mtree): forget about it, I
>   had this discussion several times and the commit log will contain the
>   reasons why the current implementation is better.

I'm not sure to follow you here.  I saw that current library names are
contained in /etc/mtree/set.base, but I don't see where it is used

OTOH, I check /etc/postinstall too, especially the obsolete_libs()
function, it appears that it returns the name of all .so except the one
with the greatest version number.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen