Re: HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:48:59 +0200
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:48:02 +0200
Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org> wrote:

> Hi Ken, hi all,
>
> > It will take a while for the fallout from this version bump to
> > propagate.  People who cvsup/rebuild existing systems should not be
> > impacted immediately - you will still have the older library versions
> > present on your systems.  However it will take time for the pre-built
> > packages provided by the portmgr folks to be rebuilt, loaded onto the
> > FTP servers, and propagate out to the mirrors.
>
> I know that FreeBSD is still lacking a solution to remove old
> librairies, but I would like to know the actual recommended way
> to remove old libraries.  I'm not asking for a solution as NetBSD's
> /etc/postinstall, just a simple and neat one.

The patch at
http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/obsolete_removal.diff
is scheduled to be committed at Saturday or Sunday. I've the approval
of my mentor since some weeks but the code freeze for 6.0 jumped into
my way. re_at_ had some issues with it, I've changed some things, and now
I have time and no freeze in my way. :-)

The patch provides update UPDATING instructions and documentation in
the build(7) man-page. In short: "make delete-old delete-old-libs"
in /usr/src. Nothing gets deleted without your approval (except you
read the docs and provide the right magic spell)!

Notes:
* The list of files/libs/dirs is static and I hadn't time to add
  the "new old libs". I will build a new world tomorrow and add those
  libs before I commit the patch.
* Everyone who wants to come up with a different way of storing the
  list of files or adopting the NetBSD way (mtree): forget about it, I
  had this discussion several times and the commit log will contain the
  reasons why the current implementation is better.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net