Re: HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:48:02 +0200
Hi Ken, hi all,

> It will take a while for the fallout from this version bump to
> propagate.  People who cvsup/rebuild existing systems should not be
> impacted immediately - you will still have the older library versions
> present on your systems.  However it will take time for the pre-built
> packages provided by the portmgr folks to be rebuilt, loaded onto the
> FTP servers, and propagate out to the mirrors.

I know that FreeBSD is still lacking a solution to remove old
librairies, but I would like to know the actual recommended way
to remove old libraries.  I'm not asking for a solution as NetBSD's
/etc/postinstall, just a simple and neat one.  I can think of number
of such solutions, like searching for libraries dating before the
last world, parsing Makefiles from src/ to deduce which libs are
obsolete, ldd on each binary ...  But I would like to hear what others
do to achieve this.  In short, I'm looking for a neat solution.

Note that I'm conscious that I should not remove old libraries while
I have not recompiled all ports.

Thank you.
Regards,
--