Re: HEADS-UP: New shared library versions coming soon

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:14:17 -0400
At 7:48 PM +0200 7/22/05, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
>Hi Ken, hi all,
>
>>  It will take a while for the fallout from this version bump to
>  > propagate.  People who cvsup/rebuild existing systems should not
>  > be impacted immediately - you will still have the older library
>  > versions present on your systems.  However it will take time for
>  > the pre-built packages provided by the portmgr folks to be rebuilt,
>  > loaded onto the FTP servers, and propagate out to the mirrors.
>
>I know that FreeBSD is still lacking a solution to remove old
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>librairies, but I would like to know the actual recommended way
>to remove old libraries.   ...  But I would like to hear what
>others do to achieve this.  In short, I'm looking for a
>neat solution.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If someone *had* a neat solution, one which everyone agreed was a
neat, workable, reliable solution, then FreeBSD would not be lacking
a solution...   :-)

I have my own way of dealing with this, and I am comfortable with
it, but I would not call it neat.  It works "well enough" for me,
but might not work for others.  I only have four or five machines I
have to worry about, so I can get by with a messy solution.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org