Re: acpi battery rework patch

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:15:12 -0700
Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:47:13 +0900
> Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>Excellent.  compiled and appears working.  It does however have
>>different values than the old system for some of the sysctl variables.
>> I get
>>
>>hw.acpi.battery.life: 98
>>hw.acpi.battery.time: 0
>>hw.acpi.battery.state: 0
>>hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
>>hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
>>
>>when plugged in.  But used to get time as -1 when plugged in and I
>>think state may have been 1 when plugged in before (less sure about
>>that than the time).  Thanks for the enormous amount of work your
>>efforts are very much appreciated,
>>
>>Eric
>

> Ditto, thanks a lot. It works well here too. I can now actually correctly see whether the lapper is connected to power or runs on battery.
> Before the state change could not be detected.
> What lacks is remining time which AFAIR worked before, now showing : hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
> I don't miss it though since showing remining percentage is more than enough.
> Thanks again for great work!

Both of you please boot either the last 6.0 beta1 or a 5.x kernel and
let me know for sure what your original behavior was.

As far as Eric's result, I'll check that on my systems as well.  I
_think_ the previous behavior was more correct (-1 = unknown) so I'll
commit this minor change.  The "state" variable should not have changed
so please let me know for sure if it has.  "1" means "discharging" which
doesn't sound right if you're on AC power.  If you just recently plugged
in the laptop, try polling the status a few more times (apm(8) gives
more detail) and see if it catches up.  Some systems lag reporting
various values until they are sure they've restabilized after an AC line
change.

Marcin, if your system reports a valid rate of use, we can calculate
time.  If you're on AC power, there is no time available (since your
batteries aren't discharging at any rate).  Try a previous
kernel/acpi.ko to be certain what the behavior used to be.  One easy way
to do this is use the FreeSBIE live CD, based on 5.3-RELEASE:

http://www.freesbie.org/

--
Nate