Re: Wi-fi: SMC2532W-B (prism3) Support

From: Patrick Bowen <pbowen_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:08:17 -0500
Sam Pierson wrote:

>Tried 5.3, 6.0-current twice in June and now 6.0-BETA1, and my SMC2532W-B
>card is still unrecognized.  A friend bought the card as well and was
>able to make
>it run under gentoo and it was recognized as a prism3 chipset.  I've
>compiled all
>the intersil and prism related drivers into my kernel and tried
>compiling support
>under the NDIS driver but it still refuses to make it available under
>ifconfig.  Has
>anyone figured out a way to make this work (or can point me to where support
>for general prism3 chipset cards would be)

Sam;

I've been using a SMC2532W-B for the last year and a half. I got it to
work by simply adding the following to /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, right
after the entry for the SMC2632;

    # SMC's SMC2532W-B EliteConnect Wireless Adapter
        card "SMC" "SMC2532W-B EliteConnect Wireless Adapter"
            config  auto "wi" ?
            insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
            remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Add the above and reboot. The card should now be recognized.

As you can see, this addition is just copying the entry for the 2632. I
just guessed it might work, and so far it has. If you have any problems,
give me a yell.

Patrick Bowen