Re: dhclient sucks

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:38:26 -0400

Sam> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> David Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>> The ISC dhclient would probe multiple interfaces simultaneously.
>>> The new one waits for some amount o ftime on my hardwire ethernet
>>> (rarely used) before probing my wireless.  The result is a longer
>>> startup.

Sam> I misread the above.  I saw brooks pointed out the "don't wait at
Sam> startup" option and you responded that this was unacceptable.  I
Sam> don't see your proposing an alternative except to revert to the
Sam> isc code which right now we're not looking to do.

Hrm.  I don't know if "unacceptable" was my meaning.  Dumb... maybe.
Poorly conceived, certainly.

We say POLA quite a bit --- it seems like it is a goal.  I suppose a
few people (like me) are standing up and saying that this progression
did not (at all) satisfy POLA.  POLA might dictate that the ISC code
was kept in the tree until such time as the new code (which might
_also_ be in the tree) is mature enough to replace it.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |