6.0 BETA1 hangs at boot (ahd ??)

From: Marian Hettwer <MH_at_kernel32.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:47:21 +0200
Hi All,

Don't know wether problems with 6.0 BETA1 belong to freebsd-current_at_ or
not, so if I'm wrong, sorry in advance.

I'm about to test FreeBSD 6.0 BETA1 on my Dell Precision 720
Workstation. Just thought I'd help with testing :)
I downloaded the 6.0 BETA1 bootonly iso and tried booting.
The box worked with only minor problems under RELENG_5.
The kernel of 6.0BETA1 doesn't boot.
Since I don't have serial access, I try to transcribe what I can see on
my screen, so hopefully there ain't to much typo's ...

It's a hard hang, I can't even enable scroll lock to scroll up, so here
we go with the last lines visible from a "boot -v":

(probe20:sbp0:0:5:0): error 22
(probe20:sbp0:0:5:0): Unretryable Error
(probe21:sbp0:0:6:0): error 22
(probe21:sbp0:0:7:0): Unretryable Error
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:4. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:8. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:11. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:13. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:2. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:3. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:5. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:6. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:9. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:10. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:12. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:14. 0 SCBs aborted
ahd0: Selection Timeout on A:15. 0 SCBs aborted
(probe1:ahd0:0:1:0): Retrying Command
(probe0:ahd0:0:0:0): Retrying Command
(ahd0:A:0:0): Sending PPR bus_width 1, period 8, offset fe, ppr_options fb
(ahd0:A:0:0): Received PPR width 1, period 8, offset 7f, options c3
	Filtered to width 1, period 8, offset 7f, options c3
ahd0: target 0 using 16 bit
ahd0 target 0 synchronous with period = 0x8, offset = 0x7f(DT IU RTI)

and that's it ...

Paralell to that hard lock, the floppy LED is always on. Makes me wonder
wether this has something to do with the problem ?! I guess not, since
the errors above look like a problem with ahd0 ...
I have tried 6_CURRENT on this box and I have one older working kernel
from FreeBSD 6.
A dmesg can be found there:
http://unixoid.de/rabauke/freebsd/dmesg.6.current.working
An old dmesg of FreeBSD 5.4 can be found at
http://unixoid.de/rabauke/freebsd/dmesg.5.4

Since the SCSI controller (some kind of) worked before, I'd really like
to know what had happened and why it ain't working anymore ...
I can help testing, since this machine is a testing machine only :-)

best regards and nevertheless keep on the good work,
Marian

PS.: Some good news though: Today I installed 6.0 BETA1 on an IBM
xSeries 346, which has 4 Gb RAM and a dual XEON 3,2 GHz. Everything
worked without problems. No hangs, no errors :-))