Re: How to update my system

From: Jim Thompson <jim_at_netgate.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 03:45:49 -1000
On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:35 AM, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:

> Reboot into single user mode, remount root with mount -u, then:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld

I keep seeing this, and its all fine and dandy, I even understand
some of the reasons why its a good idea.

But friends, I, and probably a million other people, run FreeBSD in
colo space, and in my case, its a 3000 mile
trip (across the ocean, so I can't even drive) to go visit the poor
machines.

So, what about a short discussion on the risks of ignoring the
request to go to single-user?

and yeah, I know about serial consoles.

OK.