Re: How to update my system

From: Benjamin Sobotta <mayday_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:45:56 +0200
On Wednesday 01 June 2005 15:35, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You can upgrade via CVSup. It is a tool that can easily synchronize the
> whole source tree. A configuration file is necessary, You can find
> examples in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. The stable-supfile or the
> standard-supfile is for You. The standard-supfile synchronizes to
> -current tree, which is the development tree of the FreeBSD project and
> isn't recommended for new users. I discourage You to use -current. The
> stable-supfile synchronizes to the -stable tree, which supposed to be
> actually stable. It is the right choice for You. A sample supfile for You:
>
> *default host=cvsup.hu.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> src-all
>
> You should change the first line according your location. Select a
> closer mirror.
> Now, run CVSup: cvsup /path/to/supfile.
> After the synchronization is complete:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
>
> Then reboot. If the boot process is still okay with the new kernel:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>
> Reboot into single user mode, remount root with mount -u, then:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
>
> That's all. You must work as root from the beginning to the end.
> Detailed howto is available in the FreeBSD handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gábor Kövesdán
>
> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >i am very, very new on freebsd. I would like to now, with which
> >possibilities i could update my freebsd 5.4 to the latest available
> >updates?
> >
> >Thank you
> >Roger

Hello again!

The description seems a little incomplete to me.

1) make buildworld (sometimes to kernel doesn't compile if don't do buildworld
first - at least that's my experience)
2) make buildkernel
3) make installkernel
4) reboot - single user mode
5) mergemaster -p <-- you forgot
6) make installworld
7) mergemaster <-- you forgot
8) reboot

As is "19.4.1 The Canonical Way to Update Your System"

Ben