Re: HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:35:12 -0700
> From: Randy Bush <randy_at_psg.com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:01:45 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> >> ummm.  maybe i was insufficiently clear.  i am happy to keep running
> >> isc snapshot(s).  i just wanted to be sure you were not changing the
> >> api on which they sit.
> > The API hasn't changed (the only kernel change added a notification to
> > devd), but the rc.d scripts have changed to the point that I'm not sure
> > the ISC code will work with them.  I suspect you would get pretty close
> > if you brought back the old dhclient script, added the nostart keyword,
> > and commented out the new devd entry.
>
> not an issue.  due to roaming etc. i start dh* myself.  and i hope
> one day to go more vanilla, so thanks for making good ice cream!

Randy,

Have you looked at Tobias Roth's profile tool. You can find it at:
https://projects.fsck.ch/profile

It's a very nice tool that I hope will make it into the base system some
day.

It allows the creation of profiles that are selected by various network
probes. It then does a unionfs mount of a file backed MD over /etc and
the entire system startup then uses the rc.config and any other files in
that directory.

It allows me to use static addresses for all of my regular connections
and only fall back to DHCP when I am in an unusual location. If I am
going to be at that location for a while and something like WEP or WPA
is required, I can quickly add a profile for that location.

It's a bit tricky to set up, but runs very nicely. It even lets you
suspend at one location and resume at a different one with the correct
profile for the new location.

Some trivial tools in perl or python for editing profiles could greatly
simplify its use, but I just have not had time to write them.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)