Re: unkillable apache httpd process

From: Jiawei Ye <leafy7382_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:23:14 +0800
On 6/8/05, Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-Jun-08 15:52:43 +0800, Jiawei Ye wrote:
> >I have a problem with very recent -current. Apache2 when restarted via
> >/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh, the httpd process becomes unkillable
> >and consumes quite some CPU cycles.
> What does ps show?  For a process to be unkillable, it must be in
  PID USERNAME     THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 3794 root           1  77    0  8008K  5572K RUN      0:03  2.29% httpd
I think it's doing something but truss does not show what exactly it's
doing. This is a P3-1.3G, terminal state of the httpd consumes about
10% in WCPU column.

> the kernel, though it seems unusual for a process to be both using
> CPU cycles and unkillable.
>
> Probably not relevant but was apache built on the same version of
> -current, an older version of -current or -stable?
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy
I just rebuilt it to make sure that it happens consistently (and it
does). Any recent threading changes that might affect this? My
www/apache2 is built with the following flags:
 'WITH_CUSTOM_PROXY="proxy proxy_http" WITH_MPM=worker
WITH_KQUEUE_SUPPORT=yes WITH_THREADS=yes WITH_BERKELEYDB=db42
WITH_KQUEUE_SUPPORT=yes WITH_SUEXEC=yes'

Jiawei
--
"Without the userland, the kernel is useless."
               --inspired by The Tao of Programming