Accessing SCSI-Devices >2TB

From: Raphael H. Becker <rabe_at_p-i-n.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:23:24 +0200
Hi,

I tried to attach our new external RAID to my RENEG_5_4 box today using
one logical drive of about 2326GB.

The RAID was preconfigured with two 50% partitions which were assigned
to two LUNs. FreeBSD 5.4 was able to detect those as da1 and da2 with
full capacity.

For particular reasons I need one filesystem.

The support for this RAID told me just SuSE Linux and W2k3/64Bit Systems
are able to access devices >2TB (64bit LBA) therefore the larger RAIDs
are preconfigured with smaller partitions.

For me there will be 2+1 solutions to get this running,

a) (preferred): Having one logical drive w/o partitions or multiple LUNs
   by doing some magic at my KERNCONF

b) reverting to 2 Partitions and doing ccd(4) on the resulting /dev/da(1|2)

... maybe ...

c) upgrading to a closer-to-current version to have some "hidden
   feature" available?

Any other solutions?

What would you prefer / recommend?

TIA