Re: Accessing SCSI-Devices >2TB

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 06:36:48 -0500
Raphael H. Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to attach our new external RAID to my RENEG_5_4 box today using
> one logical drive of about 2326GB.
>
> The RAID was preconfigured with two 50% partitions which were assigned
> to two LUNs. FreeBSD 5.4 was able to detect those as da1 and da2 with
> full capacity.
>
> For particular reasons I need one filesystem.
>
> The support for this RAID told me just SuSE Linux and W2k3/64Bit Systems
> are able to access devices >2TB (64bit LBA) therefore the larger RAIDs
> are preconfigured with smaller partitions.

That is correct - only a few OS's that I know of currently support 64bit
LBA.  I wanted the same thing (except I would like 18TB), and I didn't
find anyone working on this.  Maybe that has changed though.

> For me there will be 2+1 solutions to get this running,
>
> a) (preferred): Having one logical drive w/o partitions or multiple LUNs
>    by doing some magic at my KERNCONF
>
> b) reverting to 2 Partitions and doing ccd(4) on the resulting /dev/da(1|2)

This is what I did (using gvinum).

> c) upgrading to a closer-to-current version to have some "hidden
>    feature" available?

Wouldn't that be sweet?  Maybe there are some coders out there bored
looking for something to do.. :)

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.