Re: Update messed everything...

From: Grégory Nou <gregorynou_at_altern.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:59:18 +0200
Robert Backhaus a écrit :

>On 6/9/05, Grégory Nou <gregorynou_at_altern.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I updated from 5.4-release to 6.0-current
>>Update went ok, but when I reboot after make installworld, ... total mess
>>
>>First, i cannot even boot :
>>my nvidia graphics card made the system panicing
>>Fatal trap 12 : page fault while in kernel mode
>>Booting with the console line, I disabled nvidia.ko and the panic
>>disappeared.
>>

>Fine: that's easily fixed. You will need to re-build this module from the port.

Well, first I'll need to repair the make utility... But I suppose I'll
get it

>>(for this point, I suppose I did something wrong during the update)
>>Then, new problem. When using /etc/fstab, the system said there was a
>>problem.
>>

>What problem????

I should have written it, so from memory (I reboot with windows, because
my BSD was barely usable) it was something like :
unable to mount partitions as in /etc/fstab (and then, the choice of the
shell)

>>And asked me what shell I want to use (you know, the question that when
>>you have it, you know you should pray, because problems are only beginning)
>>Still, the partitions were all mounted.
>>

>Could you give us your fstab file?

not for the moment (but I don't think it would help, since it used to
work as is before the upgrade).
The problem did not come from the fstab in my opinion, but from errors
on the partitions, because I finally achieve to fsck, and now the system
boot quite normally.
But the problems with the missing utilities still remain.

>>i did fsck, but it did not pretend to correct errors on fs
>>So I try to look at the man... and there : more unfindable... as for
>>less, make, sed, uname, ...
>>I know how to fix it using a cd.
>>(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-January/073301.html)
>>Still, I need some precisions :
>>did I miss some entry in UPDATING ?
>>When I have everything fixed, should I make buildworld, buildkernel and
>>so on from the beginning again ?
>>Would fsck -a correct my filesystem ?
>>
>>Thanks a lot !

Honestly, what bother me is not the problem itself. I think I'll be able
to manage it (yet, I would appreciate if someone would be able to tell
me if  I should do everything again)
I'm more worried by the fact I really can't understand why my file
system messed up without any dirty reboot, and why utilities suddently
disappeared.

Thanks for your answer.

--
Grégory