RE: Is anyone working on /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant?

From: Darren Pilgrim <dmp_at_bitfreak.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:14:09 -0700
From: Brooks Davis [mailto:brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net]
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:51:44AM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> > Is anyone working on the proposed /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant script
> > (as mentioned in /etc/network.subr?  If not, I'll get started on
> > one.
>
> I'm planning to work on it, but if I don't do it my tomarrow it will
> have to wait for the week of the 27th as I will be without electronic
> devices next Sunday-Friday.

Was that a yes or a no? :)

> One could argue though that it actually has to be more complicated
> than the dhclient script because in some really weird configurations
> you might not have /usr mounted when netif is run and as a result
> you need to support starting supplicants after mountcritremote.  In
> normal configurations, the script should see the already started
> wpa_supplicants and not do anything when it is run.
>
> I can't actually think of a good reason to have a machine with a
> remote /usr be a wireless station, but I'm sure some crazy person
> will come up with one. :)

If you need wpa_supplicant and /usr is a remote filesystem, the network
over which /usr is being mounted probably requires WPA, so it would be
somewhat pointless.

There could be some exotic configurations in which /usr is mounted over
a non-WPA-required interface and WPA is needed for another interface.
But I think that's stepping into the YBWI realm of system configuration.

If this is a real concern, then I think the only real solution is to
modify the wpa_supplicant Makefile(s) so it installs in /sbin and its
library dependencies install in /lib.