Re: groff alternative?

From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:57:55 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 05:47:26AM +0000, Harti Brandt wrote:

> > DO>Before everyone gets all happy thinking we can incorporate all kinds of
> > DO>bits from Open Solaris - one should read the license agrement first.
> > DO>
> > DO>    COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE Version 1.0
> > DO>    ..
> > DO>    3.1. Availability of Source Code.
> > DO>    Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make available
> > DO>    in Executable form must also be made available in Source Code form
> > DO>    and that Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms of
> > DO>    this License.
> > DO>
> > DO>this puts the CDDL1.0 in the same boat as GPL'ed code from a BSD stand
> > DO>point.
> >
> > I think that's not entirely correct.
> ..
> > In this case you don't need to distribute the pieces
> > that are covered by the other license.
> ..
> > You don't need to distribute the new file
> > with that function. Of course that new file will not be CDDL covered.
>
> I never said CDDL was viral.  It is like the GPL (LGPL if you like) in
> that you must deliver the source with the binary...

I think we (Sun) have a loose interpretation of the "made available"
phrase (in 3.1 of the CDDL). I don't think it means "must deliver"
the source with the binary. For example, I think if you make source
available for download on an ftp server that's fine. IANA(Sun)L,
so I certainly can't say anything definitive in this regard, but
if you do end up wanting to consider incorporating Sun groff or any
other Sun open-source code, I or any of my colleagues on the
OpenSolaris Team would be happy to check into it for you.

Eric Boutilier
http://blogs.sun.com/eric_boutilier