Re: groff alternative?

From: Paul Allen <pallen_at_donut.ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:54:15 -0700
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> You should know that being involved in a lawsuit generally has nothing to do
> with the actual merits of the situation, it takes nothing more than one party
> being unreasonable and looking for anything they can think of to make claims.
> For someone in the EU-- or Australia, or a lot of places, apparently-- that
> could be something as simple as the "DISCLAIMER" section of the BSD license,
> since those jurisdictions do not permit liability to be completely disclaimed.
I beg your pardon?  I highly doubt that there is a jurisdiction on the
planet that supports the principle of one-sided contracts.  The DISCLAIMER
gains its power precisely because you did not pay for the work being
disclaimed and you voluntarily made use of that work.  This is distinguished
say from the necessity of good-samaratian laws which apply when people
give aid without compensation to individuals who are not in a state in which
they may consent.

Please provide case citations with such speculation in the future.  A good
engineer knows that many things can go wrong, but he worries only about those
things he feels are likely.

     -Paul