Re: groff alternative?

From: Paul Allen <pallen_at_donut.ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:13:13 -0700
(reply-to set to freebsd-chat, this discussion doesn't
belong on -current)

Well I am not here to give you legal advice, as I am not a
lawyer.  Luckily, rational people are free to discuss their
views on the law purely for the sake of discussion.

So I have to say I disagree with your conclusions based on
the context of your sources.

See:
http://www.law.qut.edu.au/files/open_source_book.pdf
for lots of information.

There are two problems, one is whether the license can hold.
In the BSD case this is essentially irrelevant.  If the
license is nullifed because a jurisdiction enforces a
punative rule that any improper terms nullify the entire
license, the result is to return the code to the BSD state.

Thus, the BSD license is essentially a tautology whereas the GPL
is not and this is a signficant problem for people who want to impose
its totalitarian view of the meaning of free.

Now let us discuss the disclaimers.  It is true that
Australian law has certain supposedly undisclaimible implied
warrantees.  See sections 66 to 74 of the "Trade Practices
Act" of 1974

Now section 68A of the TPA permits the liability to be
restricted to the "cost of resupply" which is of course
zero in the case of free software distributed over the
internet.

As you do not seem to be aware, let me tell you that it is
not a point of settled law in Australia that software as
mere information as one would download over the internet is
even actually a good in trade under the law.

To phrase this generally, when "distributing" things over
the internet, you never distribute the information yourself.
You merely distribute a right to people to access your
computer system in a restricted fashion.  They do so and in
the process "take" information from you.

At no point have you established the existance of a good in
trade.  If you and phk sit in a bar and he reads outloud the
text of /usr/src and you write it down, no "good" has been
distributed.

Finally, most of the anaylsis on this subject is VERY GPL
centric.  The trouble with the GPL is that actually attempts
to bind the user.

The BSD license reads:

1) this code is released into the public domain
2) this code may not be taken out of the public domain
(vacuous duplication of #1)
3) during redistribution you may not conceal that this code is
in the public domain (vacuous duplication of #2)
4) I declare my opinion that I am not offering something
which induces liability on myself.  (vacuous duplication of
#1)

The same cannot be said of the GPL.

You should mull-over how it is that FreeBSD is placed in the
public domain but it is completely nonsensical for a good to
be placed in the public domain.

As for people distributing CDs of FreeBSD you can reasonably
argue that their obligation is to supply a readible and
correct image of the FreeBSD information--which is what they
claim to provide.

Oh.  And if you haven't figured it out yet, lawyers are in
the business of inventing liability and possible liability.
THAT IS HOW THEY MAKE MONEY.  If you don't want to be
suffocated by such lawyers its best to speak loudly and with
a clear voice as to how you read the law.

   -Paul