Re: bin/80256: /rescue/vi doesn't work without terminal database in /usr

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:42:51 -0400
At 1:57 PM +0100 6/18/05, Brian Candler wrote:
>[from freebsd-current]
>On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 12:48:04AM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>>  >Yes, I'm aware of PR bin/80256, but that appears to stalled in
>>  >a state of limbo.
>>
>>  I've also been meaning to do something about that idea of a small
>>  termcap file.  I don't remember what the PR says, but someone had a
>>  good idea of generating the minimal termcap file from the standard
>>  one, and putting that in /rescue.  I have a few ideas of my own so
>>  the system would automatically pick up that minimal file.  Just a
>>  matter of finding the time to test it all...  :-)
>
>I started that PR. Subsequently there was a short discussion off-list
>where it turned out that Warner Losh had a compact termcap file
>which could be committed - it's attached below. However nothing
>further happened.

I am aware of Warner's termcap file, and I had talked with him earlier
this year about committing something along those lines.  I forget if
I was going to commit his exact termcap file, or some auto-generated
alternative, but I do have the emails around here somewhere.  I know
that *at the time* I knew what I had planned to do, and that Warner
had nodded in general agreement to whatever that was...

Right now I am busy finishing off some changes to `env', which will
fix some problems introduced by a different change that I made earlier
this year.  Once I have those changes sorted out, I'll go back and
look at my emails on this termcap idea.  (Unless, of course, anyone
else wants to do it before I get to it!)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org