Re: ata explicit idle/standby

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:22:41 +0930
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:47, Michael Weiser wrote:
> I've done a small patch to the -CURRENT atacontrol and ata driver to
> allow explicit switch of drives to idle or standby mode and query the
> current mode. I use it to spin down disks needed only very inregularly.
> If extended by a means to set the idle timeout this might be
> particularly useful to notebook users as well.

Yes..
Combine with
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2003-May/000681.html to
allow you to turn the drive off for a reasonable amount of time :)

(That diff doesn't apply directly but it's trivial to apply by hand)

> Or have I actually missed the some already present functionality to
> achieve the same?

There is a port (ataidle) which does this but I think having it in atacontrol
is a good idea.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum